Thanks to our sponsors

Thanks to our sponsors

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

SPOTLIGHT ON: Mike Rotherham, Sports Psychologist


SPOTLIGHT ON: Mike Rotherham, Sports Psychologist

MOST elite athletes are born with a gift, but it often needs professional guidance to help that individual make the most of that natural ability.

Step forward Mike Rotherham, the GB Handball Team's sports psychologist.

The 29-year-old from Liverpool works with all the athletes as part of the team, helping them get used to the elite lifestyle and the pressures it brings.

"I work on a number of different levels with the athletes," he said. "I help them achieve a certain mindset so they can reach their potential. It's all about creating the right culture, ethos and values. They need to be independent and take control of their environment, because for many of them they are living away from home for the first time.

"We also work with the staff to make sure they all create the right environment to benefit the athletes."

Mike first became interested in sports psychology after hearing a news report about former Liverpool footballer Stan Collymore's problems.

"I'm a big Liverpool Football Club fan, and I remember seeing the reports about Collymore seeing a sports psychologist and I thought it looked interesting. I spent about nine years at Sheffield Hallam University getting qualified.

"I love the job - It's really interesting. Some athletes have a natural mental toughness like Ben Ainslie or Linford Christie, but others need to learn it. It's not about preaching to them, I have to be reactive so I don't have to deal with a situation later on."